Be Gentle With Yourself








I went out for my run this morning feeling ready, eager to get moving, did I just say that ???  Since Jan I have rediscovered running, that and I am getting ready for the Tri for a Cure triathlon.  It has been 6 years since I last ran as a method of exercise.  I did love it at one time, I remember that now.  I have slowly watched my mileage increase as well as my pace over the last three months.  This morning however,  things just didn't seem to gel.     On most runs it takes about the first 1/2 to one mile to get into the rhythm, but today it just didn't seem to arrive.  






 I have to admit………... the voice showed up.  That inner voice of doubt and disbelief, repeating all the reasons why I "can't", telling me I'm too old or too slow, or out of shape, or fooling myself.  The voice was beating me up to the point of me nearly cutting my run in half.   Then all of a sudden a great big Dragonfly flew right in front of me turned and seemed to lead the way.  I found myself with an instant smile from ear to ear, my pace quickened and my mood changed. You see, Dragonflies have deep meaning for me, their symbolism has helped me through some pretty tough times.    I have even named my house Dragonfly Hill.







The symbolism runs deep regarding Dragonflies, from the mystical to the silly.  For example:

In Japanese culture dragonflies represent joy and new light. When you see a dragonfly, enjoy its presence and be content knowing it represents good things.  


In China, people associate the dragonfly with prosperity, harmony and as a good luck charm.  


 Amongst Native Americans, it is a sign of happiness, speed and purity. Purity because the dragonfly eats from the wind itself. 


 In Sweden, folklore suggests that  dragonflies come around to check for bad souls - to weigh souls to be more ‘accurate’ and elsewhere, believed to sneak up to children who tell lies and also adults who curse and scold, to stitch up their eyes, mouth, and ears respectively.


 The Welsh call the dragonfly the snake's servant and think they follow snakes and stitch up their wounds.

I searched and searched years ago to try to uncover the symbolism of the Dragonfly and these were the themes that were repeated again and again.   

-happiness
-speed
-purity
-self realization
-joy
-light
-prosperity
-harmony
-good luck
-living in the moment

 I knew instantly that these were themes that I needed to focus on for happiness in my life.  The Dragonfly from then on has always held a very special place in my heart.  The dragonfly spirit  can show up unexpectedly in our lives in very subtle or blatant ways.  They may be coming to you to teach you something during a particular point in your life. Should this happen, the dragonfly  is one to be honored and listened to openly since dragonflies carry messages that deal with deeper thought.  They ask that we pay attention to our deeper thoughts and desires.  
And so I do.




















No comments

Back to Top