A Letter to My Daughter



Dear Lindsey,

I remember the day you were born, a cool October afternoon, the day was filled with visitors coming to meet you and bring presents, a bustle of activity until late evening.  The next morning as the sun rose, I had you all to myself in my room and I took this picture.  I had no idea what lay ahead for us.  I remember in the delivery room I was so overwhelmed by you  that I actually asked the nurse's  permission to  touch you as you lay in the bassinet next to my bed.  I suppose even then I didn't feel that I deserved such a wonderful gift.  I have cherished so many astonishing memories during my  years with you, watching you grow, surrounding yourself with a marvelous circle of friends, becoming  more confident, finding love and slowly but surely making your own place in the world.






 I personally have always thought that you were extraordinary.  As the years have progressed I now see that the world thinks so as well.  Countless times I have been told what a joy you are as a person, as an employee,  and as a friend.  I have watched countless times as you have snipped and glued and sprinkled glitter and, created something special for someone who is hurting, or perhaps not hurting, you just thought it would make them smile.  And you were right.  You have made so many people smile, and is there anything on earth worth more than that?  I had thought that this might be enough to prove that you are a person of worth, but recent events in our lives have proved me wrong.


The last 48 hours of my mothers life have forever altered the way I see you Lindsey.  So strong, so focused, so incredibly caring, I knew you had these qualities, but they shone bright in this horrible crisis,  the ending of a long life.  To sit in a room of impending death takes more than many can muster, it takes a willingness to forget about your own fear or sorrow and remember the one who is about to journey on and what their needs may be.

I sat in awe as you spoke memories and love into her ears, held tight to her hand, and swabbed her dry lips.  I was humbled by your ability to stay close to her and never leave her side despite the hour  of the day or the stressfulness of the situation.  Your presence was an immense comfort to her, I am quite sure of that, I know it was a great comfort to me.  So to say that I am proud does not even touch the surface of the emotions in me, I am altered, forever altered by the amazing woman that you are.



  I believe there are gifts we give throughout our lives, and I don't mean the phsyical or tangible.  A gift given of oneself is much greater than any that can be bought in a store.  You have given a great gift to your Meme, you were there for her at one of her most important moments in her life.   You have also given yourself a great gift, you had the chance to say goodbye, to see her off to her next place, to know she is at peace.   Thank you for your stength, thank you for your love, and thank you for the gift , the final gift that you gave to my mother.




























5 comments

  1. Your Mom, You and Lindsey. Circle of Life. May you all find peace in dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Rita, it was the way it should be done. Surrounded by family, soft music playing, a priest saying the rosary (my Mom's favorite !) and a peaceful passing, one can only hope for so much at the end.

      Delete
  2. Wow...Wow ....WOW !!!!! This is so beautifully written and tugs at every heart string of my mother's heart. I love you ~ Connie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you to Miss Connie, there are no words really, thanks for the love.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top